Sunday, March 21, 2010

Marching on

I think I have discussed the merits of the month of March in Canberra before, probably last year, er, quite possibly around March time. It is officially autumn and whilst it is true that some of the leaves have started to turn, the weather is settled and warm, the nights drawing in only slowly, and the capital is putting on one last shebang before it trickles slowly into winter slumber. I think this time of year also brings focus and a renewed purpose to make the most of the good times while they last.

So around Canberra we have had events and exhibitions and evenings by the lake, along with the good old pockets of nature and landscape to keep us comfortably happy. There have been balloons and bands, flowers and fireworks, portraits and photographs. No writer’s festival though, which perhaps explains why I am struggling for words this week and am just going to pile a string of photos online instead, which is arguably good preparation for next weekend’s photo marathon.









This weekend, the general gloss of pleasantville has been tarnished slightly by smoke drifting in from time to time from a controlled burn across the border, providing a nice smoked ham flavour to clothes on the washing line, and hazy, wistful sunsets.



In an effort to escape the smoke I took a jaunt across the border in the other direction on Saturday, tackling a lack ofclear signage and direction on a couple of trails within Morton National Park near Kangaroo Valley. The first, unintended, walk took me down a fire trail to a wide expanse of the dammed Kangaroo River and, mercilessly, back up again in the heat of the day. The second, intended, walk took me to two of the three views on the Three Views Walk, which was also hot but mercifully provided some splendid outlooks into the wilderness.



My walking efforts deserved a celebration and as chance would have it I arrived back to Canberra and there were fireworks greeting me. A chance to sit by the lake, avoid perilous mini Jedis (younglings I believe) with green and red lightsabres, and get bitten by insects. And, as the thousands of cars filter back away from the lake, take a stroll back to my car parked up near the war memorial, to complete 12 pictures in one blog entry. I’ll have to up my game for next Saturday, when I am supposed to take 12 in as many hours!


No comments: