Sunday, October 18, 2009

Transition?



As I write this on a fine Sunday evening, it feels like we could just be on a crux between winter and summer, with a couple of days of spring in between. I hope I am not being too aspirational, dare I say, optimistic but I can feel it in my bones (which are less chilled than they were a few days ago).

The week started off and spent several days being mostly grey, damp, chilly…not too much of a drama during the working week, pausing sufficiently at times for a brisk walk in the evening light around some of Canberra’s landmarks. Even on Saturday a bright morning gave way to afternoon showers, which totally suited my arrangement of morning chores and afternoon walks!



Sunday morning was bright enough too, and encouraged me enough to head down to Tidbinbilla, which itself has undergone some transition. Most notably, an entrance fee, which seems to be funding signs for a few name changes from colonial Australian to Aboriginal and the odd new picnic bench. It seems as though they are putting in the effort though, and the money is going to some good uses, including a couple of new walks which seem to be on the map that haven’t been there before. The Cascade Walk took me to a little fern covered cascade and the Lyrebird Walk didn’t lead me to any Lyrebirds… the liars. It did find me stalking an echidna though, playing who dares wins to see which of us gives up first: me waiting for it to unfurl from safety or it waiting for me to sod off back to the car park. I was generally victorious and after finally getting a decent snap or too sodded off back to the car park.



My little victory had made me all heady and I went to celebrate with a coffee at Lanyon Homestead. It was an average coffee but the best thing about it was being able to sit outside in the sun without a jumper or coat! From then on, the day seems to have got better and better, seemingly symbolic of the week ahead. Such good news heralds only one way to celebrate. Finally.

No comments: