Monday, July 28, 2008

End of Part One



OK, maybe when people said I had brought the good weather with me they had a point. Apart from a minor blip on Friday it has been pretty much perfect and the short wearing opportunities have far exceeded expectations. After the initial frenetic activity to make hay (see below) I have taken a much more leisurely, Devonian style approach to my time. This has included the odd spell of reading in the garden, more gentle ambling, a trip round the shops and out to Aunty Pat’s for lunch – it was good to see some raspberries growing in her garden, a few of which I nicked to complement a home made cream tea.

I ramped up the pace slightly on Sunday, catching a bus across the Tamar to Crafthole in South East Cornwall. This region is such a delight and seems a million miles away from the council chav towns of Plymouth. Not only do you have the rolling hills from the Ambrosia custard tin but the stunning sweep of coastline around Whitsand Bay, all gargantuan cliffs dropping down to shingle coves and beaches. And of course, access to the South West Coast Path, maybe I'm biased but without doubt the greatest track in the world!




Whilst I will be returning to the southwest in a couple of weeks with Dad, it has become something of a ritual to end my time in this part of the world with a barbecue. Being the honorary ‘Australian’, I am charged with responsibility for burning the snags and turning the prawns, sculling a XXXX and muttering a few XXXXs as I singe my eyebrows. Mum seemed to think all the family were there and Allan could help eat the food mountain which emerged, including approximately: 20 prawns, 8 giant burgers, 20 sausages, half a pig’s belly, 20 chicken wings, 8 chicken drumsticks, 8 chicken thighs, 20 slices of butternut squash, a few mushrooms and peppers, salad, bread, one rhubarb crumble and one banoffee cheesecake.

Needless to say, leftovers will be eaten today, probably at Exeter Airport Shed as we wait for Cullompton Airways Flight 00AR to Spain. Hopefully the weather will be as good in that part of the world!

No comments: