Sunday, January 13, 2008

Monkeying around

Life has been fairly routine so far this year, back to work, the odd walk here and there, slapping a steak on the barbie and that kind of thing. Like some magical switch triggered by Santa, summer has well and truly arrived with little rain and temperatures regularly in the mid 30s. As well as inducing siestas on a more regular basis this also seems to have got the spiders excited as I keep finding them everywhere lately, including a Redback who has taken up residency around my newly planted herbs.

Last weekend I took the short drive up to Mount Stromlo, where a number of boffins with crazy hair and white coats hang around to look through some telescopes. It was an interesting spot, especially as several of the buildings (and very very expensive equipment) are still derelict from the 2003 bushfires which swept through here.



This is a great time of year with the long summer days letting me catch some daylight after work, just when it tends to be cooling down a little (and the mozzies come out!). One evening saw me up Mount Ainslie again, where the clouds had bubbled up and the distant storm clouds provided colour.



Another night took me to the lake shores down by Yarralumla. I think this is one of the nicest parts around the lake… a bit more natural looking with long yellow grass wavering around stands of Eucalyptus trees. Of course, the public BBQs are never far away, nor is Canberra Marina!


The heat has continued this weekend, so perfect weather for some cricket and, er, roast lamb then?! The Indians were in town in the latter part of the week and the sledging seemed to be conspicuous by its absence as they took on a very average ACT invitational XI. I went on Saturday, where the cricket was pretty boring to be honest but pepped up by a read of the papers, a few beers and a trip to the legendary Thai Cornar afterwards.


On Sunday I visited Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets which are some markets selling fresh food (duh). I picked up my ingredients for what turned out an amazing slow cooked roast leg of lammmmmmmmmmmb. Four hours of the oven being on was the price to pay for such melt in the mouth deliciousness. And now, having walked dinner off watching the galahs and lorikeets as the daylight fades, I am very fat and contented!

No comments: